Detroit Performs artists Vito Valdez and Christine Bossler are currently working on a mosaic sculpture and landscape intervention on a greenhouse project in Southwest Detroit. It’s a private commission with community involvement of clay tiles, Christo Rey, Holy Redeemer Elementary school, neighbors and construction crew.
Valdez also has an update on the Shield of Peace and Nonviolence project seen on Detroit Performs, “Last year till now – we have had numerous workshops (and) community gatherings leading up to exhibit and (we are) completing the mural this spring with team partner Katie Yamasaki,” Valdez said.
Here are some other projects Valdez has going:
- Lead artist on a City Walls Viaduct project in Southwest Detroit. There are two other artists on the team and they start painting this spring.
- An after school SOP art program at Western International HS since Jan through May. They are very involved with exhibit and national student movement.
- In 2018, selected by Signal Return to create art for non-profits – among six selected artists.
- Invited to Janice Cranach Gallery Exhibit this October for a Detroit muralist show curated by Fel 3000.
- Lead artist on tri-county community public art projects for the DIA.