While small in scale, discover works of art great in stature when Atomic Cafe Gallery in Hamtramck hosts the 6th annual Small Wonders – An Exhibition of Tiny Art & Films. Happening Saturday, July 14, this curated exhibition will feature 61 fine works in various mediums from 42 local and national artists created with only one guideline in mind…all artwork must be 5 inches and under; films are mostly under 5 minutes in length.
Beginning in 2013 as part of the wedding festivities for local artists Dekilah and DVS, this now 6th annual event has grown to include a small festival of film shorts, a gallery of artists creating tiny art live and a tiny selection of tiny fine desserts. And returning once again, lounge singer extraordinaire Konrad Lee (Satori Circus) will be singing a selection of tiny themed songs.
Small Wonders 6: Admission is $5 and all ages are welcome. The exhibition is Saturday, July 14 from 7 p.m. until midnight.
Atomic Cafe, is located at 10326 Joseph Campau, Hamtramck, MI.
The 2018 Big Roster or Tiny Artists
- Amy Kollar Anderson (Ohio)
- B.P. LeGault (Royal Oak)
- Bonnie Gloris (New York)
- Camille McCoy (Williamston)
- Carl Demeulenaere (Grosse Pte)
- Carol Morris (Saline)
- clever9design (Harper Wds)
- Crystal Mielcarek (Hamtramck)
- Dawn Cooke (Hamtramck)
- Debbee Lotito (Lathrup Vlg)
- Dekilah (Detroit)
- DVS (Detroit)
- E.M. (Detroit)
- Erin Kruczek (Dearborn)
- Gail Carpenter (St Clair Shores)
- Hannah Jean (South Dakota)
- Jackie Brooks (Grosse Pt Farms)
- Jen Casper (Lincoln Park)
- Joseph Ferraro (Ferndale)
- Karl Denton (Wolverine Lk)
- Laurel Shada (Sterling Hts)
- Lisa Grix/Grixdolls (Harrison Twp)
- Lisa Mangussi (Brazil)
- Marcos Tedeschi (Brazil)
- Marshew (Detroit)
- Melissa Porter (Berkley)
- Nancy Kozlowski (Royal Oak)
- Nathan Weitzman (Ohio)
- Nicole O Pagan (New Jersey)
- Patti Pfaendtner (Macomb)
- Paul Tillinghast (New York)
- Paula Marie Deubel (Sterling Hts)
- Rachael Jones (Romulus)
- Rachel Truscon (Ann Arbor)
- Renee Robinson (Sterling Hts)
- Sam Thorp (Pennsylvania)
- Sanda Cook (Hamtramck)
- Shannon Burnett (Pleasant Rdg)
- Sya Reed (Ohio)
- Tina Speece (Alabama)
- Wenlin Tan (Singapore)
- William (Detroit)
The 2018 Tiny Film Roster
- “After The Reign: Confusion” – Jennifer S Tarrazi-Scully (2018 Georgia/N Carolina 01:00)
A woman dealing with the loss of an important figure in her life.
- “Cross the Bridge” – Marc Eikelenboom (2017 Netherlands 02:29)
A lonely bridgekeeper’s life changes if he falls in love.
- “Encounter / Encuentro” – Camila Ausente (2017 Mexico 01:01)
A very short story of a very brief encounter
- “Happy Birthday” – Javier F. Espadas (2017 Spain 01:00)
Why does dad want to celebrate his daughter’s birthday every night?
- “Movement Never Lies” – Angèle Methangkool-Robert (2017 France 03:34)
A dance floor as a giant canvas and my own body as a paintbrush.
- “PAW” – Diana Lee Woody (2017 California 00:58)
It comes from the other side and nothing can stop it.
- “Rag Dolls” – Justin & Kristin Schaack (2017 Minnesota 04:12)
Playtime turns into uncontrolled shenanigans when a child discovers rag dolls in an antique chest.
- “Self-Help: A Multiplex 10 Short” – Gordon McAlpin (2018 Massachusetts 03:37)
A grumpy movie theater employee gets a lesson in customer service from a co-worker.
- “The Cord” – Catherine L. Allard (2017 Canada 05:25)
Adam is about to do something that will change everything. He is ready to cut the cord.
- “Traum(A)Novelle” – Francesco Faralli (2018 Italy 01:00)
Why being to the hairdresser is becoming a nightmare?
- “Why/Wee” – Monica McFawn (2018 Michigan 00:05)
Trepidation turns to triumph for an anxious turtle
The image above is a still from “Movement Never Lies,” one of the Tiny Films screening at Small Wonders 6.