Here are the arts & culture programs airing on Detroit Public TV 9/9 – 9/15/18
- MASTERPIECE: The Miniaturist – Sunday, 9/9 at 9pm
In the premiere, Nella marries to rescue her family from financial ruin. Her rich husband is not all she imagined, plus he gives her a very peculiar wedding gift.
- Detroit Performs – Tuesday, 9/11 at 7:30pm
Artist Lauren Semivan utilizes an old technology in her prints; Detroit photographer, Brian Day; And photographer Steve McCurry explores India. Plus, host DJ Oliver tours the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant in Detroit and interviews Executive Director, Nancy Darga.
- The Great American Read Fall Kick-off Special – Tuesday, 9/11 at 8pm
Watch the fall kick-off episode with host Meredith Vieira in the search for America’s best-loved novel. The voting is underway, and the competition is heating up — any book could win.
- American Masters: Margaret Mitchell – Tuesday, 9/11 at 9pm
A profile of “Gone With the Wind” author Margaret Mitchell (1900-49), who blazed trails as one of Georgia’s first female newspaper reporters.
- Leonard Cohen: Tower of Song – Thursday, 9/13 at 8pm & 11pm
Celebrates the globally recognized icon, poet and songwriter Leonard Cohen. The special features performances by a star-studded lineup of international artists, and includes rare archival interviews and concert footage.
- The Australian Pink Floyd Show: Everything Under the Sun – Thursday, 9/13 at 9:30pm
The Australian Pink Floyd Show perform in Germany in this concert film, which was shot in spring 2016 during the tribute band’s “Best of the Best” tour.
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Birth of Rock Theatre – Friday, 9/14 at 10pm
Paul O’Neill shows the past, present and future of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra through live video and interview segments taken over the last few years.
- American Masters: Basquiat – Friday, 9/14 at 11pm
A profile of artist Jean-Michel Basquiat (1960-88). He went from anonymous graffiti artist to a rock star of the early ’80s art scene in New York, with his work ultimately commanding millions.
- The Carpenters: Close to You – Saturday, 9/15 at 6:30pm & 9:30pm
A chronicle of the Carpenters’ career, featuring home movies; concert performances; and studio recording sessions.
- Dionne Warwick: Then Came You – Saturday, 9/15 at 8pm & 11pm Celebrate the legendary, Grammy-winning singer and her greatest hits, spanning her roots in gospel, chart-topping partnership with Burt Bacharach and duets with Elton John, Gladys Knight and Stevie Wonder.