Here are the arts & culture programs airing on Detroit Public TV October 14-20, 2018
- Articulate – Sunday, 10/14 at 1pm
Author David Sedaris; singer-songwriter Priscilla Renea; painter Jeffrey Gibson’s Native American origins shape his life and work.
- MASTERPIECE: The Durrells in Corfu – Sunday, 10/14 at 8pm
After arriving at Aunt Hermione’s house, Larry sets off to visit friends in London while Louisa is left with her cousins Prue, Geoffrey and Basil, who arrive to settle details of Hermione’s will and attend the funeral.
- MASTERPIECE: Poldark – Sunday, 10/14 at 9pm
Ross must rise to the challenge of parliament, but the distance from Cornwall brings trials of its own as George, refusing to accept defeat, begins stacking the odds in his favor; Ossie tends to a dying parishioner.
American Masters: Itzhak Perlman – Sunday, 10/14 at 10pm
The life story of Grammy Award-winning violinist Itzhak Perlman, including his battle with polio and his career as a conductor and music teacher.
- Detroit Performs – Tuesday, 10/16 at 7:30pm
Young singer/songwriter Olivia Millerschin sings with her soul; Artist Sydney G. James’ beliefs come out in her murals; Ice sculptor Tajana Raukar demonstrates her chilling craft; Singer/songwriter Josie Pace makes her mark on the Detroit music scene; And photographer Ali Lapetina documents a community.
- The Great American Read – Tuesday, 10/16 at 8pm
Highlighted books include “Atlas Shrugged,” “Dune,” “The Chronicles of Narnia,” “Foundation,” “Gulliver’s Travels,” “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy,” “The Lord of the Rings,” “Lonesome Dove,” “The Martian” and “Outlander.”
- MetroArts Detroit – Friday, 10/19 at 5:30pm
MetroArts features artists in and around the Metropolitan Detroit area representing the disciplines of visual, performing, and communication arts.
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Ghosts of Christmas Eve – Friday, 10/19 at 8pm
This inspiring new documentary provides an intimate and unprecedented look into the remarkable life of Itzhak Perlman, widely considered the world’s greatest violinist.
- Shakespeare Uncovered – Friday, 10/19 at 10 & 11pm
Shakespeare Uncovered combines history, biography, iconic performances, new analysis, and the personal passions of its celebrated hosts.
- Father Brown – Saturday, 10/20 at 7:30pm
Sid falls for the heiress to a local brewery, only for her to be arrested for the murder of her own father.
- Burton and Taylor – Saturday, 10/20 at 8:30pm
In 1983, actress Elizabeth Taylor (Helena Bonham Carter) and actor Richard Burton (Dominic West) join forces to star in the play “Private Lives.”
- Death in Paradise – Saturday, 10/20 at 10pm
DI Goodman believes there is more to the murder of a surf instructor than meets the eye.
- Austin City Limits – Saturday, 10/20 at 11pm
An hour of blue-eyed soul with Sam Smith and Anderson East.