New Music Detroit‘s annual contemporary music marathon brings three days of all sounds experimental, modern classical, contemporary, electro-acoustic, and beyond! Strange Beautiful Music 12 performances are Friday through Sunday, Sept. 13-15, at Trinosophes, the Detroit Institute of Arts and in The Cube at The Max.
Strange Beautiful Music’s 12th year features a host of guest composers, a Mexican Portrait Program amid the Diego Rivera murals, and many cultural surprises.
- DAY 1: Trinosophes, 1464 Gratiot, 6 p.m. – 12 a.m.
- DAY 2: Mexican Portrait Program~ Detroit Institute of Arts, 5700 Woodward, 7-10 p.m.
- DAY 3: Detroit Symphony Orchestra (Peter D. and Julie F. Jennings Cube), 3711 Woodward, 5-11 p.m.
- New Music Detroit
- Michael Malis “Dualisms”
- Leafar Village (Rafael Statin, Sterling Toles, Alex White)
- James Cornish Light Opera
- Zac Bru (Nancarrow on modulars)
- Sonya Belaya
- Nick Zoulek
- ÆPEX Contemporary Performance
- Matthew Duvall (percussionist of Eighth Blackbird)
- University of Michigan Percussion Ensemble
- Alexandra Gardner
- Jorge Sosa
- Michael Malis
- David Biedenbender
- Matthew Burtner
Organizers give special thanks to presenting partners the Consulate of Mexico in Detroit, Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Detroit Institute of Arts. They also thank their friends: Detroit-Berlin Connection, Trinosophes, and Detroit Bureau of Sound.
The image above depicts two of the extraordinary artists affiliated with ÆPEX Contemporary Performance.