Here are the arts & culture programs airing on Detroit Public TV December 1-7, 2019
- RICK STEVES SPECIAL: EUROPEAN CHRISTMAS – Sunday, 12/1 at 1:30pm
Rick Steves celebrates the Christmas season throughout the European continent, exploring holiday customs and practices in England, France, Norway, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy.
- A CLASSIC CHRISTMAS (MY MUSIC) – Sunday, 12/1 at 3:30pm
Gavin Macleod and Marion Ross host a Christmas celebration featuring clips of holiday music by a range of performers, from Gene Autry and The Beach Boys to Judy Garland and Johnny Mathis.
- DOWNTON ABBEY RETURNS! – Sunday, 12/1 at 7pm
Host Jim Carter celebrates “Downton Abbey” with a sneak peek of the movie, interviews with the cast and creators, and never-before-seen video clips.
- KEN BURNS: COUNTRY MUSIC – Sunday, 12/1 at 9pm
The making of the documentary series “Country Music” by Ken Burns, which details the history of country music in America; host Kathy Mattea.
DANCE ON DETROIT: A MAGGIE ALLESSE CELEBRATION OF DANCE – Monday, 12/2 at 7:30pm
Celebrating the extraordinary talents of the Detroit dance community. Feel the excitement of every rehearsal and performance, and learn about Detroit’s rich dance history in the making.
- ORCHESTRA HALL: A CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION – Monday, 12/2 at 8pm
The story of Orchestra Hall is significant to music lovers all around the world. Detroit Public TV’s award-winning documentary team has recorded the story of the DSO’s home with context, clarity and heart, recognizing 100 years of Orchestra Hall’s impact on its Midtown neighborhood and Greater Detroit arts and culture.
- CAROL BURNETT: A CELEBRATION – Monday, 12/2 at 10pm
A 50th anniversary tribute to Carol Burnett’s career includes clips, memories, and interviews with Carl Reiner, Tim Conway, Vicki Lawrence, Betty White, Cloris Leachman, Tina Fey, Phyllis Diller, Barbara Eden, Jim Nabors, and more.
- IL VOLO: TEN YEARS – Tuesday, 12/3 at 8pm
Il Volo celebrates 10 years with a concert from Matera, Italy, that includes new arrangements of their greatest hits as well as new music.
- THIS OLD HOUSE — 40TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL – Wednesday, 12/4 at 8pm
The 40th anniversary celebration of “This Old House” includes vintage clips and interviews with hosts Kevin O’Connor, Steve Thomas and Bob Vila; past homeowners provide behind-the-scenes stories about the cast and crew.
- UNDER THE RADAR MICHIGAN LIVE – Thursday, 12/5 at 8:30pm
The Under the Radar Michigan crew joins us in studio to talk about all of their adventures around our great state.
- MISTER ROGERS: IT’S YOU I LIKE – Friday, 12/6 at 8pm
Celebrities, cast members and Joanne Rogers recall their favorite moments from “Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood” as they celebrate the 50th anniversary of the series.
- PETE SEEGER TRIBUTE CONCERT: WOODY’S CHILDREN 50TH ANNIVERSARY – Friday, 12/6 at 11pm
Folk musicians pay tribute to Pete Seeger on his 100th birthday; performers include Noel Paul Stookey, Peter Yarrow, Tom Paxton, Holly Near, Tom Chapin, John McCutcheon, Dar Williams, Josh White Jr., and more.
- ARETHA FRANKLIN REMEMBERED (MY MUSIC) – Saturday, 12/7 at 7:30pm
Celebrate the legendary Queen of Soul and the first woman inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame with her greatest hits from television appearances spanning the 1960s-2000s, many of which have never been seen in the U.S.
- GREAT PERFORMANCES: AN INTIMATE EVENING WITH DAVID FOSTER – Saturday, 12/7 at 9pm
Grammy Award winner David Foster explores the music of his career with guests Loren Allred, Pia Toscano, Fernando Varela, Sheléa, Katharine McPhee and more.
- CHAKA KHAN HOMECOMING – Saturday, 12/7 at 11pm
Chaka Khan performs her greatest hits at the Harris Theater in Chicago; songs include “I Feel for You” and “Tell Me Something Good.”